Saturday, January 19, 2013

Windows Experience Index - Failed Disk Assessment

As part of my three-part series on Windows 8, I mentioned that one of my annoyances was the inability to run the basic built-in benchmarking tool, the Windows Experience Index (WEI), on my system.  Every run ended with the following error:

"The Windows Experience Index for your system could not be computed. Could not measure storage performance. Error: Failed to properly assess the disk. Incorrect function."

As I mentioned before, I tried every possible solution to get it working, but after two days of tinkering, I simply gave up.

Flash forward 30 minutes after posting that last blog entry and now this issue is resolved!  I'll explain how it was done, but first, a little background:

Every time I've had to do a clean install of either Windows 7 or Windows 8, I've had to disconnect my 2TB Seagate hard drive.  This is the drive that holds all of my media files, backups, etc. (my 2x 60GB solid-state drives in RAID0 are for Windows and programs), so unplugging it during install and plugging it back in afterwards isn't a problem.  I always thought it was kinda weird, but I managed to live with it.

With that thought in mind, I disconnected the Seagate drive and ran the WEI -- and it worked!  The results are kind of sad, but keep in mind that I started building this machine almost six years ago:

Processor = 5.7
Memory (RAM) = 7.1
Graphics = 7.1
Gaming Graphics = 7.1
Primary hard disk = 7.5

As part of my initial troubleshooting, I posted a help request to the Microsoft Community.  Since finding this solution, I've updated my post so hopefully I'll be able to help others in the same predicament.

No comments:

Post a Comment